Thursday, September 13, 2012

Now That I'm Grown Up...

              When it came to a profession, it took a while for me to finally figure out what career I wanted to go into. I was a hair stylist and tried the cosmetology thing for a few years, but found that it just wasn't enough for me. I wanted to do something more rewarding, something that gives me the opportunity to really make a positive impact, and difference in peoples lives. Learning about hair and skin in cosmetology school made me realize just how much I love science, and how the human anatomy really interests me. So I decided to go to college and I set my goals on becoming a Registered Nurse. My plan is to become a travel nurse after completing the adequate amount of training required, which is about two years.
               To become a Registered Nurse the educational requirements are to obtain an Associates Degree in Nursing from an accredited college or university. But I've decided to go the extra mile and achieve my Bachelors Degree in Nursing instead. After completing my AA in general studies at Edison, I will transfer to FGCU for my BSN. By getting a BSN it opens up the door for many more opportunities than just having an associates degree. If you choose the associates degree route it usually takes about 3 years, the first year is prerequisites, and the last two years are in the nursing program. By taking a few more classes to complete my AA, it will only take about four and a half years for the BSN. Once either degree is achieved, then you must complete an exam to become licensed. Besides education there are other criteria that go along with becoming a nurse. You need to have patience, dedication, compassion, and the strength to deal with people that are sick and may need help.
             Another plus side to a career in nursing is the salary that goes along with it. From doing some research I've found that the median annual salary average for nursing is around $55,000 to $60,000 when first going into the field. With travel nursing the income is much greater, some states pay RN's up to $100,000. But even though the pay that comes from being a nurse is great, it is just a small price for the opportunity to be able to help others. The ability to travel around the nation, or even the world being a nurse is one of the biggest things that has drawn me to this profession. I feel that everything about nursing would fulfill my future, and provide me with the kind of life that I'd like to live.

1 comment:

  1. Melissa,
    This is an excellent career choice. You will always have a job as a nurse. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete